Purcell: Dido and Aeneas

Author

Henry Purcell (1659-1695: English)
  • Served as singer, organist and composer in three different royal courts
  • has often been called England's finest native composer
  • very influential both in England and throughout Europe
  • Wikipedia Article

About the Piece

(much of thedescription comes from elements that were brought out by Forney and Machlis, The Enjoyment of Music, and the accompanying DVD)

  • Genre is Opera
  • Climax on "Remember me" in B section of Aria
  • Very sorrowful
  • Text language is English (!)
  • Ground bass line characterizes emotion of piece
  • Extensive use of strings in a decently diminutive accompaniment; focus is on performer.

Purpose

  • entertainment

Reflections

This piece is beautiful! This is what opera has been missing for me whenever I have heard it before--a comprehension. I would be much more inclined to enjoy an English opera (or any classical piece in English for that matter), because the text painting makes sense. While I have the translations in front of me for songs in other languages, it's never the same. When a song climaxes on a particular word, I never know which English word that is. Also, something about an actual English word, with all of its connotations that I can understand, being sung with such grace.