Schubert: Erlkonig

Author

Franz Schubert (1797-1828: German)
  • born in a suburb of Vienna
  • learned the violin from his father and piano from his older brother
  • immersed himself in German Romanticism
  • died at age 31, dying wish was to be buried near Beethoven
  • life was a romantic symbol of the artist's fate
  • Wikipedia Article

About the Piece

(much of the description comes from elements that were brought out by Forney and Machlis, The Enjoyment of Music, and the accompanying DVD)

  • Genre is Lied
  • piano with solo male vocal accompaniment
  • minor key tonality, with one or two switches to major key
  • very dark
  • common time, but with lots of triplets.
  • text language is German
  • extensive text painting; piano is a "character" in the story

Purpose

  • entertainment
  • lieder were meant to be sung in small settings and not performed on big stages

Reflections

As I noted in one of my concert reports, I love solo piano music. This is close to the same thing (piano and one singer). I like the text painting and minor key usage. For some reason, I seem to like pieces in minor keys more. I hope that doesn't mean that I am a sad person. I think it must be that when people are sad, freightened, or in an otherwise "minor key" mood, their emotions seem to be more sincere.